Motor Vehicle Accident Information & Procedures

If you are involved in an accident in a University vehicle:

  • Stop immediately and notify the proper law enforcement agency so that an official report can document the accident.
  • Take necessary steps to prevent another accident.
  • Call emergency medical services (911) if necessary. Render aid to the injured until help arrives.
  • DO NOT make any statement, oral or written, as to WHO was at fault. Any admission of fault may impair the insurer’s ability to defend a case of questionable legal liability. Appropriate legal authority will decide fault or liability.
  • Provide all required information to the law enforcement officer.
  • While at the scene of the accident, secure information needed to complete the Motor Vehicle Accident Report Form. A packet with the Motor Vehicle Accident Report is in the map/glove compartment in the vehicle. Make sure to get the other driver’s information and insurance. Do not leave blank spaces.
  • Take pictures of the damage at the scene if possible.
  • Record the names and addresses of all witnesses. An Accident Witness Form is also included in your packet.
  • Report the accident to your supervisor and to Fleet Services 979-862-8662 as soon as possible.
  • Complete the report and submit directly to System Risk Management within 24 hours. A copy must also be sent to Transportation Services Fleet via email or (Fax 979-845-3026).

If a vehicle is inoperable and the accident occurred in the Bryan/College Station area, call the Fleet Services at 979-845-7121 and a wrecker will be dispatched to the accident location. If outside of the Bryan/College Station area, have the vehicle towed to the nearest dealer, arrange for another rental vehicle from a local vendor and proceed with your business.

If you have any questions, or need assistance, please call 979-862-8662.